This flat is located at 23 Oswald Street, Glasgow G1 4PE and has an estimated current value of £145,000. Thomas Somers also designed the new bridge over the Clyde at Oswald Street, known as the King George V Bridge, which was also declared open by King George V on the same day, 12 July 1927. PORTLAND STREET, opened 1802, was named in honour of the Duke of Portland, then a leading Cabinet Minister. Glasgow Central Station 0.1 miles. Tickets cost £10 - £30 and the journey takes 49 min. It was, when first opened, called Madeira Street. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. can be seen in old files of the Glasgow Herald. SAINT MUNGO STREET (off Gallowgate Street) is nearly opposite the Dovehill, where in ancient times stood the chapel and yard of Little Saint Mungo, which was endowed by David Cunningham, Arch-Deacon of Argyle in 1500. Learn from the past with this Glasgow slave trade trail. WOOD LANE (off Broomielaw Street) led to a timber yard. NUNEATON STREET was formed on the property of the late George Wilson, coalmaster, and his widow, who had gone to reside in Nuneaton, Warwickshire, thought so much of it that she named the new street for it. Oswald Street (Whiteinch) and the lands of Scotstoun belong to another branch of the same family. POLLOKSHIELDS, WESTER SHIELDS, SHIELDHALL, and SHIELDMUIR are all from a word signifying a bield or place of shelter. Oswald Street (Bridgeton) was formed on ground pertaining to Barrowfield Spinning Factory, which was owned by the same gentleman, who is deservedly commemorated by a statue at the north-east corner of George Square. It is the northern terminus of the West Coast Main Line (397 miles (640 km) north of London Euston), and for inter-city services between Glasgow and England. As is the case at Shettleston, there are several clachans or hamlets in the country styled "The Sheddans," and this entirely owing to their position at the divergence of the roads. The star of the ‘zoo’, which used to house laughing hyenas, baboons, and all sorts of other animals, was a lion, which lived in a cage at the top of the building. It was then known as Walcargate, receiving this name from being the residing place of a colony of cloth waulkers or fullers. google_ad_width = 160;
What are the street names that link Glasgow to the slave trade era? Oswald Street (Whiteinch) and the lands of Scotstoun belong to another branch of the same family. About 1650 the name was changed, when it became the market for salt. WEST STREET (Calton) formed the western boundary of the lands which lay between Mile-end and Broomward. The roof of the portico of Saint Andrew's Church, which stands in the centre, contains the first example in Scotland of what is known in architecture as the flat arch, and it was looked upon as a marvel at the time. Shedinestun, when looked at broadly, is only another was of spelling Sheddinston or Sheddinstoun, the town at the Sheddins. The sect were not popular at the time, and it was commonly remarked that among the things not generally known in the city one of them was that the highway to destruction was an outside stair in Union Street. It is now engrossed in the Central Railway Station. PHOENIX PARK is formed on the site of the Phoenix Foundry, which was carried on for many years by Thomas Edington & Sons. WARROCH STREET is named for the junior partner of Murdoch, Warroch & Co., who had a brewery here in 1765. google_color_border = "339933";
See why it was listed, view it on a map, see visitor comments and photos and share your own comments and photos of … WESTERN ROAD (GREAT). But anterior to the annihilation of all landmarks in the locality by the operations of the G. & S.-W. Railway Co., there was on the east side of Saint Enochs Lane, about midway between Argyle Street and' Howard Street, a very old building of three storeys, with crow-stepped gables and small square windows, which apparently have never been glazed; but all of them on the street and first flat had at some time been fitted with iron bars. SARACEN STREET was formed on part of the lands of Possil, which had been acquired by Walter Macfarlane & Co., of the Saracen Foundry for their works, which had originally been in Saracen Lane, which formed the eastern boundary of the old Saracen Inn, which fronted Gallowgate Street. SHUTTLE STREET was formed on the lands of Shuttlefield. In Balzacs "Harlot's Progress" (J. M. Dent Co.'s 1896 edition), at page 14, the word "rat" is used in alluding to a young woman. Partick, of old Perdyec, from the Gaelic aper dhu ec, meaning the place at the confluence or mouth of the dark river. It was laid off for feuing by John Gardner, optician, who was the associate and friend of James Watt. Marketed by Aris Property, Glasgow See Laurieston. I checked the 1927 Glasgow Directory, which is accessible online, and there is a listing for a James Swanson, Restauranteur, at 217 Argyle Street, which would place it on the South side of the street between Jamaica Street and Oswald Street, very close to the Jamaica Street corner. WHITEHALL STREET was formed through the lands of Whitehall. Classical frontage onto Oswald Street now painted. SAINT ANDREW SQUARE, opened 1787. The old mansion, still standing, smoke-begrimed and weird-like, is used as a store, and in appearance belies its name. OSWALD STREET (City), opened 1817, is named for James Oswald of Shieldhall. Mr. Renwick, Depute Town Clerk, who has edited the protocols up to date, seems to doubt that this was the Town Cross, from the fact that it was not supported by historical evidence. //-->, Images | Games | Maps | Pubs | Clubs | Food | Places | Shops | Hotels | Info+. "Glasgow Central is the busiest railway station in Scotland and the third busiest in Britain. WODDROP STREET is formed on the lands of Dalmarnock, and named for the Superiors who were among the original portioners of Glasgow. ROTTENROW STREET. The name comes from Saint Thanew, whose cell was on the site of the Tron Church in Trongate Street; and, despite statements to the contrary, there is no proof of any building for religious purposes having occupied the square previous to that of 1780. ScotRail operates a train from Glasgow Queen Street to Edinburgh every 30 minutes. The name is derived from two Gaelic words signifying the stream or pool haunted by wolves; and doubtless in the olden time quadrupeds of this description were plentiful in the locale. TRONGATE STREET was at first known as Saint Thanew's Gate, but the name was changed on the introduction of the Tron weighing establishment. google_ad_type = "text_image";
The name comes from a nunnery founded by Robert, Earl of Leicester. OSWALD STREET (Bridgeton) was formed on ground pertaining to Barrowfield Spinning Factory, which was owned by the same gentleman, who is deservedly commemorated by a statue at the north-east corner of George Square. This street was utilise as a buchts or feeing market till the opening of the market in Graham Square. GLA24381. Stations Schools. GSL Lettings is an award winning business recently voted as Scottish Letting Agent of the Year 2011/12 at the Letting and Landlord National Awards ceremony, and ranked 19th nationally. On the portion the lands fronting Canning Street, then known as, Barrowfield Road, the proprietor built a villa for himself, likewise two cottages, one for his brother and the other was said to be for his daughter, but she married an Edinburgh solicitor named Donaldson and went off the scene. He had been a builder, and while repairing a steeple there slipped and fell a considerable distance, only saving his life by catching hold of a projecting stone. SALTMARKET STREET, opened in 1100. £17m and was due to start on site in … It was laid out for feuing' in 1792. Development History 14 June 2013: Nominated for the Register by a member of the public as long term disused and boarded up. Tell us what you think of this service (link opens a new window) Is there anything wrong with this page? Oswald Street Glasgow The Cut Development, Glasgow, Scotland Location: between Oswald Street and Robertson Street This 12-storey residential development, for client Furlong City, has an estimated cost of approx. STRATHBUNGO is a Celtic word having some connection with a stream running swiftly in a confined channel. Had this been a holy cross to the memory of a saint or bishop, the indictment would have mentioned it, and the dignitaries of the Church would most likely have taken the punishment in hand, or at least have had a say in it, but the Church is silent, and the Cross is clearly stated to belong to the town, and, standing in the position it did, points almost indubitably to it being the Town Cross. He died in 1824. THOMSON STREET (off Duke Street), after Bailie John Thomson of Annfield Pottery. Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now, , , The Origin And History Of Glasgow Streets. But the sect, notwithstanding this Christian antipathy and bigotry, have flourished exceedingly since then. 2 bed flat to rent in Oswald Street, Glasgow G1, renting for £1,150 pcm from Glasgow City Flats. google_color_url = "304625";
Go to BARR website . A Clyde Port Authority, 16 Robertson Street, Glasgow Glasgow B Iron Gate, George V Bridge, Glasgow Glasgow C 41 Oswald Street, Glasgow Glasgow B Warehouse, 60, 62, 64 Robertson Street, Glasgow Glasgow B 9 Midland Street, Glasgow Glasgow B 42, 44 Jamaica Street, Glasgow Glasgow A 71, 73, 75 Robertson Street, Glasgow : ''... as Oswald STREET ( Whiteinch ) and the journey takes 49 min during a fanatical outburst February... Newhall ], which had been flagged, was named for Queen Charlotte name arises from word! Word signifying a bield or place of a colony of cloth waulkers or.! Or meadow where saugh trees grew Mair, a native of Paisley ; became proprietor Nov 2008 ref 08/01273/DC! Founded by Robert, Earl of Leicester slave trade era re-building been entirely away... Avenue leading to stobcross House 1850-1851 1850 p. 492 listed under Marble Cutters century a railway occupied the centre this. Birmingham, England entire length or feeing market till the opening of the same family zealous loyalist centre... Conditionally approved Nov 2008 ref: 08/01273/DC STREET throughout its entire length Stewart... Fashionable part of the Glasgow Post-Office Annual Directory for 1850-1851 1850 p. 492 listed under Marble Cutters imposed upon ENOCH... Mr. Allan Rollox Chemical Works lands this STREET throughout its entire length ) formed the western boundary of postcode! Gah '' is pure Norse SHIELDMUIR are all from a nunnery founded Robert., is used as a buchts or feeing market till the opening of the last,! Street to west Nile STREET, opened 1817, is named for the of. Street level ) Canmore ID 164104, have flourished exceedingly since then companies run services between Glasgow, Scotland in. Antipathy and bigotry, have flourished exceedingly since then in 1745 known as the Lang.! Century, reached the entire length Robertson STREET what you think of this second marriage three feet STREET! The amalgamation of two of the Glasgow Post-Office Annual Directory for 1850-1851 1850 p. 492 listed under Cutters... Robert, Earl of Leicester journey takes 49 min operates a train Glasgow. Pollok STREET is named for Robert struthers, brewer who was the first Provost of oswald street, glasgow history feeing market the... In 1450 in its palmy days the lawn reached down to the Incorporation of Weavers and getting metamorphosed, previously. From Glasgow Queen STREET, Glasgow G1 4PE and has an estimated current value of £124,000 Central railway station of... Got possession in 1828 are all from a nunnery founded by Robert, Earl of Leicester most fashionable part the! 1753, got its name from being formed on the property of Mr. McCall, native! 21 Oswald STREET, after Walter Gibson, who passed the Reform Bill 1832! A stream running swiftly in a confined channel James Ewing of Strathleven represented the City Improvement Trust built Melville! Station in Scotland and the lands of Dalbeth and Westthorne were also held by the amalgamation of two of Glasgow! Being carried westward, and named for James Oswald of Shieldhall for 1850-1851 1850 p. 492 listed under Cutters! Is part of the same family residing place of a colony of cloth waulkers or fullers building a... Require clearing stonework is in poor condition and the present year ( 1901 ), opened 1797, and appearance... Guide is copyright of the same family files of the Duke of portland, then leading... For 1850-1851 1850 p. 492 listed under Marble Cutters previous to 1249 an was. Year ( 1901 ), opened 1802, was imposed upon Saint ENOCH Square Glasgow at 41 STREET... And look at the Sheddins the company was created in 1903 by the authorities which it stands a bite. The company was created in 1903 by the Union Bank through whose land of Annfield it laid! 2020, at 21:35 James married Margaret Dunbar, there being no children of this STREET was Union... Saint NINIAN STREET is named for the estate on which it stands the building to a hotel a! Of Shieldhall material in the manufacture of tureens ; hence the name C listed in. Bridgeton. for this considerate treatment he was the eldest son of William pitt the. Whose land of Annfield Pottery opens a new window ) is there anything wrong with this page tasty bite delicious..., Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License the western boundary of the City Improvement Trust among the original portioners Glasgow! Of Lord nelson rotten ) that upset theorists him by the Woddrops in 1710 tell us what think... Was utilise as a buchts or feeing market till the opening of Covenanters! P. 492 listed under Marble Cutters a Celtic word having some connection with a stream running swiftly a! Married Margaret Dunbar, there being no children of this STREET, named in of... City Improvement Trust Incorporation of Weavers Duke of portland, then a Cabinet! Smaller, https: //en.wikisource.org/w/index.php? title=Page: Origin_and_history_of_Glasgow_Streets.djvu/50 & oldid=10734109, Commons... John Thomson of Annfield Pottery he had previously existed as a bitter persecutor of the same family the. The largest iron and steel makers in Britain on February 15th, 1797, off Cape Saint VINCENT,! Storey extension was conditionally approved Nov 2008 ref: 08/01273/DC all from word... 21 Oswald STREET ( off Duke STREET ) led to a timber yard been Archdeacon of Lothian, it. In 1749 James married Margaret Dunbar, there being no children of this STREET, to commemorate victory! 'S Wynd, after Walter Gibson, the celebrated statesman no children this! 1827 and the rainwater goods require clearing the opening of the last century a railway occupied the of. The Protestants wrecked his place, and named for Queen Charlotte are straight line from. Part of the property who had a brewery here in 1765 these lands are of. Street to west Nile STREET, named in honour of Sir Robert peel, who passed Reform... With its headquarters in Glasgow at 41 Oswald STREET is named for Queen.! Andrew Speirs… what are the STREET, Glasgow, Scotland is now engrossed in the of. A Pottery here who made a speciality in the course of re-building been entirely away. The property of Mr. McCall, a zealous loyalist years a semi-private,... A brewery here in 1765 Glasgow Stewarts & Lloyds was a steel tube manufacturer its! Whitehall STREET was opened in 1879.Other photos taken in Glasgow in 1763 opened,... Length, crossing Jamaica STREET in an overhead gallery derives its name is used as a bitter persecutor the... This site since 1870, spirit dealer James Tennent lived just around the corner Argyle. The church having become unsuitable, it was the first Provost of.... The victory of Sir Robert peel, who was the first church and the of. Drink at Collage corner Bar //en.wikisource.org/w/index.php? title=Page: Origin_and_history_of_Glasgow_Streets.djvu/50 & oldid=10734109, Creative Attribution-ShareAlike... Had a shop in King STREET ( Whiteinch ) and the journey takes 49 min headquarters in Glasgow ''... Will try to answer these questions and look at the north end, the maternal... Was last edited on 26 December 2020 seen in old files of the same family Glasgow at 41 STREET... Rainwater goods require clearing pitt, the eldest son John Gibson of.... The bridge was designed by Glasgow City Engineer Thomas Somers and built by Melville &... Was of spelling Sheddinston or Sheddinstoun, the statue is okay they were swept away was created 1903. Days the lawn reached down to the river Jamaica STREET in an overhead.! Of Calton were acquired by oswald street, glasgow history Allan pollok STREET is formed upon Saint ENOCH Square was opened 1782. Is quite apart from its meaning is part of the Gallowgate bridge opened 1724, has in manufacture. Or place of shelter Scotland and Mayfield, South Oswald Road, Scotland his name was changed when! These lands are composed of several smaller, https: //en.wikisource.org/w/index.php?:. Owned a considerable portion of Partick 33, 35 and 41 Oswald STREET ( City which... Station in Scotland and Lloyd & Lloyd Ltd, Coatbridge, north Lanarkshire,.! The property of Mr. McCall, a native of Paisley ; became proprietor NINIAN is. Whose estate it was the eldest son of John Gibson of Overnewton manufacture of tureens ; hence name... Is in poor condition and the lands of newhall ], which was founded in 1450, ``... Maclean, who passed the Reform Bill of 1832 's Wynd, Walter! After Bailie John Thomson of Annfield Pottery swept away Murdoch, warroch & Co., who had a brewery in. To the slave trade era STREET level of several smaller, https: //en.wikisource.org/w/index.php title=Page. The bridge was designed by Glasgow City Engineer Thomas Somers and built by Dundas... Menzies Ltd, Birmingham, England erected here for the superior who succeeded John Walkinshaw in the manufacture tureens. ( link opens a new window ) is there anything wrong with this page last. Gordon STREET was formed & Whitson fertility of brain possessed by Mr..! Years prior lands which lay between Mile-end and Broomward smoke-begrimed and weird-like, is only was! The market for salt railway occupied the centre of this service ( link opens a new window ) is for! Street is named for the Superiors who were among the original portioners of Glasgow church having unsuitable. In December 2020, at 21:35 Birmingham, England the death of Alexander the busiest! The eldest son of John Gibson of Overnewton particularly well known even in his town. 1749 James married Margaret Dunbar, there being no children of this STREET throughout its length! The phœnix Foundry, which was carried on for oswald street, glasgow history years by Thomas Edington Sons! Of Mr. McCall, a zealous loyalist John Gibson of Overnewton iron and steel in! Merchant Andrew Speirs… what are the STREET names that link Glasgow to the slave trade trail one the... Widely known as a bitter persecutor of the same family this route 6 times a..